Monday, February 3, 2014

"It's Been a Long Time Coming, But I Know a Change is Gonna Come..." - Sam Cooke

It’s been awhile since I wrote a blog post.  More than three months!  Might as well be a lifetime.  You know how you have periods in your life where not much ever really changes?  Same old routine, same old thoughts, same old rut.  Yeah, no….my last three months have been super productive and ever changing.  Hard to keep up…hard to write about it all.  But, my therapist has been encouraging me to get back to writing.  And, as unbelievable as it is to me, people keep asking me when I’m going to write more blog posts.  Hard for me to imagine anyone gets anything from my long winded histrionics, much less finds inspiration from these posts, but it is good for me, so here it is.

I will preface this post with three thoughts. 
One…..I have actually written quite a few posts in the last six months but didn’t publish some them.  The ones I didn’t publish were pretty painful to write, kind of personal and I just was not ready to put them out there for public consumption.  Of course now that I do feel ready, it feels weird to publish them because although they are dark and sad posts, they don’t really describe my current state of mind and I don’t want an outpouring of pity and sympathy.

Two…..for the last few months, I have been sincerely selfish and self-absorbed.  This is really not like me and there is no good defense for this kind of behaviour.  Everyone goes through stuff, you still need to be a good person and treat other people well.  I mean, I haven’t been a monster or anything like that, but it’s been the Laura Show and I am aware that I have been completely insensitive to everyone else’s feelings…..at work, at home, with friends, with my family…everywhere.  I don’t know how to explain what I had been going through with therapy gearing up for weight loss surgery without it sounding like, “what I am experiencing, none of you can possibly understand because you’ve never been through anything as intense or as real as what I am currently experiencing”.  Life is intense, everyone hurts, people experience some real shit and get through it.  You have.  I have.  I am right now. 
Ok third….I started this blog committed to being completely and totally honest.   No bullshit.  A few posts in, I realized I still have to sensor myself because I don’t want to hurt anyone I care about.  The stuff I write doesn’t just affect me, it isn’t about just me…it’s about the people in my life, too.  And they did not commit to being 100% bullshit free, and they did not agree to expose themselves on the internet like I’m doing.  Also, being totally honest doesn’t mean I have to lay every single detail out there.  There are some things most people really don’t want to know and I don’t want them to, either!  I figure if anyone wants more details, they’ll ask me, and I’m ok with that.  Please don’t worry about asking questions….especially if you’re considering a sleeve and need more information.

With all that said, here’s a brief overview what’s been going on the last few months. 
My gastric sleeve surgery date was set for January 6/14 but when my surgeon submitted the request to my insurance company, the request was denied based on the universal “not medically necessary” justification.  I disagreed.  So I wrote a (clearly) convincing appeal and the decision was over turned in December, so surgery was a go and I had my surgery on the set date at Rochester General.  I was in the hospital for 3 days.  I was on a clear liquid diet for 2 weeks (my last day of real food and alcohol for a year was New Year’s Eve). 

The only “complication” I had was an excessive amount of scar tissue that had re-grown down my abdominal wall from previous surgeries.  Some of you may remember that in June, my surgeon removed all that in preparation for this surgery, so you can imagine how frustrated he was when he discovered it had all just re-grown.  That made the surgery an hour longer than it would have been and very nearly made it necessary for my surgeon to covert the laproscopic surgery to an open surgery, which would have sucked so badly.  Luckily for me, he was able to complete the surgery laproscopically.  I have 10 (I think) 1-3 inch incisions all over my abdomen.   They were closed up with staples so for the first week and a half, it felt like I had tiny zippers all over me.  It was kind of fascinating but also kind of creepy.
I had some pain but not as much as I thought I would have.  It felt like I had been kicked in the stomach a thousand times.  That’s it.  It was a dull ache.  I healed very quickly and very easily.  I guess I’m lucky but I am also an old pro when it comes to surgery…I know the drill.  The more you get up and walk, the faster you will heal.  Drink as much water as you can.  Manage your pain.  Don’t lay in bed and rot…get up and do as much as you can for yourself.  Keep a positive attitude.  Stay focused on your goals.  Push yourself, but don’t hurt yourself.  I didn’t let people come and visit me, with the exception of Sam, who checked in briefly once a day, and one other friend who was so stubborn, I couldn’t stop him.  I made my parents stay home.  I’d rather just rest when I need to and do what I need to do than sit and “visit” all day when I am sick. 

When I was discharged, my surgeon gave me a prescription for a huge bottle of liquid pain medication, but I didn’t need it at all by the time I got home.  I was also given a prescription for an acid blocker that I need to take, in addition to a chewable multi-vitamin, twice a day.  The acid blocker is for 6 months.  The multi-vitamin is forever.  (Because of my experience with the lap band, I was already taking multi-vitamins, folic acid, vitamin D, vitamin B12 and iron.  Weight loss surgery – all WLS - leaves you vitamin deficient…not much you can do about it except supplement.  But it is really important to supplement your diet with vitamins or you’ll suffer all kinds of unpleasant side effects including hair loss.  Trust me, I know from experience.)
I got to have a shower right away when I got home, which was fantastic!  It was difficult to lie down in my own bed at first, so I slept in the living room in a recliner for the first few nights.  When I started to go back to my own bed, it was difficult to lie on my side but that also got easier within a couple of nights.  I transitioned from a liquid diet to a pureed diet sooner than expected.  I got my staples out 10 days after surgery and no, it didn’t hurt at all getting them out.  I was pleasantly surprised…….I really did not feel a thing! 

I was so excited to start pureed when I did but now I am so done with it.  I’ve been eating stuff like creamy polenta, mashed potatoes, pureed butternut squash or turnip, scrambled eggs (which were my saving grace), cottage cheese, ricotta, apple sauce (with no extra sugar), Chobani 100 (less sugar than their usual).  In other words, as you might expect from “pureed” food, anything soft and mushy.  Mostly stuff the surgeon wants you to STOP eating as soon as you're done the pureed stage.  I started to add new foods about a week ago and today I am officially onto full food again. 
The idea now is to try one or two new things a day.  Re-introduce whole food into my diet slowly.  I can eat about a cup of food at a time and that should translate into about 800 calories a day for the losing weight stage.  I use an online tool to help me figure out how many calories, how much protein, how many carbs, how much sugar, etc. I’m eating.  I should not drink alcohol for a year, no caffeine, no carbonation, no drinking calories, no drinking at all for 30 minutes before or after eating and no grazing (which is a huge challenge for me – that’s how I like to eat!).   Protein shakes should not be consumed…calories and nutrition should now come from whole, clean food.  And drink lots of water....as much water as I can.

I am not yet cleared for lifting.  So far I have been focused on just walking and moving.  I park further away at the office, get up every hour from my desk, go up and down stairs at home….normal things that you always hear people talk about doing to be healthier.  I am psyched to start a real exercise routine, but honestly I was intimidated to walk into a gym.  I decided that instead of joining a regular gym, and taking my chances on a random personal trainer, I’m going to become a client of Dr. Steve Comella, who is an anesthesiologist at Rochester General.  He and a body building friend of his started a lifestyle management service.  They will put together a personalized nutrition and exercise plan to help their clients accomplish their goals.  They’ll be my nutritionists, personal trainers and cheerleaders.  I’ve have access to their gym. 
Everyone asks me: so how am I doing so far and what are my goals?   Honestly, I could not care less about numbers on a scale.  I have never been thin in my life and I never will be and I have never been the kind of woman who weighs herself constantly.  I refuse to let some number tell me when I should be happy or feel beautiful or strong or healthy.  So I don’t judge my progress by that at all.  I know that when I reach my goal, I will still be a larger woman than "society" or the health/fitness industry would like, and I am ok with that.  I'm more than ok with that!  I like my  curves and I want to keep them.  That said, I weigh myself once a week just so I can answer the question.  As of this morning, since surgery I’ve lost 30 pounds.  Pre-surgery I lost 20.  So 50 total so far.  I’m not complaining!  Fabulous start, feel better already.

My goal is to live a full life without my size or fitness level getting in the way.  For example, I want to get back on a horse.  I want to be able to travel and not worry about what I can and cannot do.  I want to run up a flight of stairs and not feel like I’m going to die.  I just want to feel proud of my body and myself and not feel like am imposter in my own life.  And I want to feel strong, like I can take care of myself physically in any situation.  I also want to do what I can to protect my body from the ravages of weight loss surgery.  This process is tough on a body…especially a body over 40 who has been obese for more half of that.  I’m focused on taking care of my skin, drinking lots of water, building muscle, maintaining a positive attitude and clean lifestyle and eating healthy food.
You know, I said earlier that I have been really selfish the last few months and it’s unusual for me.  The thing is, this is the first time in my adult life I have respected myself at all.  I guess I’m figuring out how to balance being kind to others and to myself simultaneously.   I am truly excited about my future, excited about myself and don’t regret my history…..for the first time!  I am finally comfortable enough with myself and my experiences to really explore.  So yeah I feel selfish, but I also kind of don’t.  These are choices I’m making based on the “now” and I am not making them lightly or maliciously to hurt anyone else.  I regret that other people may get hurt by my choices……but I’m just trying to be true to myself, trying to be my most authentic self and I am fully considering the consequences before choosing.

Thus, I have become a weight loss surgery cliché….although a bit sooner than most.  Sam and I are ending our marriage.  This really is the best thing for both of us.  It has become clear since we have been living together that we don’t really bring out the best in each other and although I am the one who made the conscious choice to end it, neither of us have been happy for most of the 2 years we’ve been married.  This may seem like sudden news, but I assure you, it is not.  We both got married with the best intentions and for the right reasons.  But sometimes things don't work out the way you hope.

I will always cherish the time I spent dating and married to Sam.  With him, I have travelled to places I hadn’t been before, learned things I would not have learned otherwise and of course made my way to the States, specifically Rochester, which (even though I didn’t really want to move to the States) has changed my life forever.  Knowing him has made me a better person and I am hopeful we will always be friends and in each other’s lives. 
These things are true about me:

·    I hate hunting but feel strongly that everyone should be able to catch and kill their own food. 
·        If we all did have to catch and kill our own food, I’d be a vegetarian
·        I wrote an essay on slaughterhouses once and then stopped eating meat for 5 years
·        There’s nothing better than a rare rib eye steak
·        I’m a hypocrite.  I know it.
·        I am obsessed with Law and Order and almost all crime/courtroom tv shows and movies
·        I don’t believe in capital punishment

No comments:

Post a Comment